The Blythe Archives:
The Emperor X Online Journal



|20090116

||PHX/Borders and Cities/Freeway Awe
I'm typing from a commercially-zoned house in
Phoenix where my friends Preston and Ben put on
house shows and cook and take care of two grumpy
cats and study and read and discuss philosophy
and politics and record music. Ben and I are
working on a split-release album built around
our thoughts on borders and cities. If we're
able to record and mix as much as we think we
can over the next few days, I'll be able to post
it in late January.

The freeways here were built with the grandiose,
monumental qualities that many cities give only
on their airports or transit systems. The sound-
walls are thick, tan fortifications and they're
the first thing I'd run for if I knew a blast
wind was coming from the other direction. The
builders cut hard lines and pseudo-adobe
ornamental shapes into the concrete. I walked
over a pedestrian overpass last night and felt
the kind of awe I seldom feel outside of a
train station or a launch pad viewing zone.

It's cold at night.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Bryan said...

Chad--

I spent the last week listening to The Blythe Archives Volume Two. It's really an incredible follow up to Central Hug; like the first big gasp of air after being under water for three years. I donated $5, although I wish I had $50. Maybe we'll see you on tour,

Bryan Klopping
Omaha, NE

16:20 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home